Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 3 bis: Hamburg

After arriving in Hamburg I went straight to Marcus’ place using the Metro. Luckily the group ticket wasn’t only for the train but for all the Niedersachsen public transportation.
I put my bag away and Marcus offered me something to eat and we talked for a while.

He explained to me that there were touristic tours of the Hamburg harbor. for about 15 euro, but since I had that public transportation ticket I could just take one of the public transport ferries which went roughly the same path as the touristic ones.

After the ferry ride I walked around in the old city of Hamburg.
There is this huge city hall which was used to impress kings. This is because Hamburg was the only place in Germany which didn’t have a king itself. It was a trade center lead by rich merchants. The city hall was used as a sign meaning “We don’t need a king, we are powerful enough on our own”.
I hope I told this somewhat correctly, this is one of the many things I learned of Marcus about Hamburg.
Hamburg city hall
After discovering the center of Hamburg I went back to Marcus’ place where we talked some more and watched some YouTube videos, after which I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment